If Memory Is Unkind

 Things I pray I never forget with age:

  • sitting in uni with far too many tabs open, three deadlines approaching, a half-written paragraph, and the completely delusional conviction that I will figure it out
  • the thrill of finding a sentence in a book so good that I have to put the book down for a second
  • the feeling of discovering a writer who says something I had felt for years but had never been intelligent enough to articulate
  • the version of me who highlighted everything in my school textbooks
  • how many versions of myself I have already been: literature student, editor, poet, theatre person, researcher, academic weapon on some days and academic victim on others, and so on…
  • the fact that I once genuinely believed a bad grade meant the world had ended
  • and then getting a score I never expected and realising — “Oh. Maybe I am actually good at this!”
  • the ridiculous happiness after gulping down a well-cooked meal
  • the exact feeling of laughing with someone until the conversation stops making sense
  • the chaos of college festivals. the posters. the rehearsals. the last-minute changes. the WhatsApp messages at obscene hours. the collective panic followed by the inexplicable feeling that we actually pulled it off
  • the feeling of walking out of a class with twenty new questions and no answers
  • the books I read at the exact age I needed them
  • the ridiculous number of times I have said, “i could literally write a paper about this.”
  • the strange little pride of seeing my own name under something I wrote
  • being sent a photograph of something completely mundane with the caption, “this is so you.”
  • the sacred stupidity of sending a fifteen-minute-long voice note to my best friend to give him life updates.
  • the handwriting of people I have loved 
  • falling asleep in a car and waking up exactly when we reach home
  • the ridiculous amount of time it takes to say goodbye when no one actually wants to leave
  • being given the last bite, and giving someone the last bite
  • the smell of freshly washed bedsheets
  • “thanks for always making me feel so seen and included.”
  • the relief of taking off an uncomfortable pair of shoes after a long day
  • eating standing at the kitchen counter because the food is too good to wait for a plate
  • sharing a pair of earphones with someone
  • laughing so hard at a restaurant that the next table starts giving us the side eye
  • finding someone’s note to you tucked in an old notebook
  • being hugged when I was expecting advice
  • waking up to see someone has put a blanket over me
  • the confidence on a good hair day
  • falling asleep with a book open beside me
  • somebody saying, “come sit here.”
  • bringing home food for people who weren’t there
  • the sound of keys being dropped into the bowl when someone comes home
  • the way my father has a specific way of ringing the doorbell, and the excitement that follows
  • prawn sichuan noodles from Stur Fry Box- mmm
  • “read this and tell me if I’m insane.”
  • the privilege of being someone’s safe space
  • the panic surrounding “where’s my phone????”
  • the last thing someone says before getting into their cab
  • “reacted ❤️ to your message.”
  • the first page of a new notebook
  • talking to myself while getting ready
  • sleeping without an alarm
  • unlocking my front door after a 40-day-long trip
  • someone holding an elevator door as I run my way towards it
  • an acquaintance who always smiles when they see me
  • canteen bhaiya knowing my go-to order
  • laughing at the most inappropriate moment and biting the inside of my cheek in order to stop
  • the first hot shower after getting caught in a downpour
  • tasting something straight from the pan and burning my tongue. Ouch
  • a baby gripping my finger
  • seeing something pink and immediately wanting it
  • the inexplicable emotional attachment to a mug
  • waking up listening to someone’s voice note from the previous night
  • the staircase where everyone sat between classes
  • and the girl who is writing all of this down, because she already knows how cruelly time can make mundane things precious


~vee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons from the Gen Z Handbook for Diwali

No More Water, Bring Fire: Taylor Swift’s Salvage of a Shakespearean Tragedy

Goodbye 2025, Hello 2026!